Friday, October 3, 2014

Foodie Friday #3: Chili

Welcome to Foodie Friday. Each Friday I'm going to do my best to bring you fun, healthy meals for you to try. Sometimes they may be meals I've created or more than likely they will be meals I've found through Cookbooks or on Pinterest. (I am ADDICTED to Pinterest, anyone else?)

The reason I decided to add this feature is simple. I love food. It's sickening how much I've allowed food to rule my life so far and I want to be able to still enjoy food, but find much healthier alternatives from what I've been eating. Some of the recipes I feature, I may not have tried yet, but they look and/or sound AMAZING and I want to share a great find. Others I will have tried and I'll tell you how well they worked for me and if I will make them again.

You may be wondering why I would put recipes I might not like or haven't tried yet up here, I want you to make your own decisions. Just because I might not care for it doesn't mean you won't LOVE it. So, I'm going to post it if I think it might look cool. I'll make sure I tell you at the beginning of the post if I liked it or not. Also if possible, I will try to calculate WW points for my fellow point watchers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today's recipe is a family favorite-- Chili.

Now I know everyone has a chili recipe that they love. This happens to be ours. If I was making it for just me, I would use Ground Turkey or Chicken instead of the ground beef for a slightly healthier option.

1 1/2 lbs of ground beef (the kind we use is 90/10-- so there is very little fat)
32 oz of tomato juice
2 cans of Chili beans (I usually drain one can and use the juice of the other)
1 medium to large onion
1 packet of McCormic Chili seasoning
some salt 
some pepper

Brown the ground beef in the pot you are going make you chili in.
Add half of the Chili seasoning as you brown the beef.
Add the beans and onion let it cook a little bit and then add the tomato juice.
Salt and pepper to your taste.
Allow the chili to come to a boil then lower the temperature to low for 4-6 hours.

This chili is one of my absolute favorite things from my childhood.

 Now according to my WW recipe builder this chili is about 3 points a serving (about 1 cup)  since the whole pot will serve at least 12 people. (Reminder: this is not a recipe created by Weight Watchers. I just used the tools that I have paid for to get the approximate point value.)

No comments:

Post a Comment