Friday, October 10, 2014

Foodie Friday #4: Meatballs!

Today's Recipe is another family favorite. Last night, I made Meatball hoggies! This one was amazingly delicious, but not so healthy. . .

You'll need:

2 pounds of ground meat. (If I was making this just for me, I would have used ground turkey meat, but since someone I know doesn't believe in ground anything by beef. . .)
1-2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
 1 tablespoon of garlic salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
2 cups Mozzarella cheese
3 cups pasta sauce (I used Prego)

Mix the seasonings into the ground beef.

Heat a skillet with a couple table spoons of oil in the pan. Brown your meatballs on all sides before sticking them into the oven for 45-50 minutes.

After the meatballs have browned, put them in a oven safe glass dish to finish off in the oven. I put them in at 350* for about 45 minutes. Then I brought them out of the oven and sprinkled the Mozzarella cheese on top and put them back in the oven until the cheese was nice and melted.



 Remove the dish from the oven and enjoy on your favorite buns. I used hotdog buns that I bought from Publix's bakery. YUM!!


Now, I know this isn't a very healthy dish, but there are ways to make it better. Using a leaner meat-- like ground turkey or ground chicken will cut down on some of the fat in the meatballs. Also using a heart healthy pasta sauce will help cut down on some hidden sodium as well. Not eating bread on your hoggies will cut out some sugar producing carbs.

Eating these hoggies without the bread will end up being about 6 WW points. Not to bad for 3 decent size meatballs.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment